In celebration of Startup Europe Week 2017, the Digital Leadership Institute and its partners Creative District and others, are proud to announce the third FREE Move It Forward – female digital starters weekend bringing together teenage and adult women* from the greater Brussels region to develop digital projects promoting women in media. This initiative, part of the DLI inQube female digital accelerator, is supported by top technology companies, media organisations, and youth and women’s networks and communities. Its objective is to give beginner girls and women the skills to drive positive change and enable them to become digital entrepreneurs and leaders.
Participants: If you are a teen or adult woman* interested in building your tech and entrepreneurship skills to promote better and more portrayal of girls and women in media, with a focus on film-making and story-telling, please “Apply To Attend” for this FREE event! Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis and all effort will be made to accommodate everyone who wishes to participate.
For important logistical information about the event, please also see below.
Day One – 11 February (Saturday):
- 8:00-8:30 – Registration & Coffee
- 8:30-10:30 – Opening Plenary: Inspiring talks by Move It Forward Partners
- Welcome & Keynote Presentations:
- Welcome: Ms. Cheryl Miller & Ms. Rosanna Kurrer / DLI Cofounders
- Keynote Presentations:
- Ms. Julie Compagnon, Singer, Journalist and Television Chronicler for RTBF
- Ms. Marine Haverland, Audiovisual Advisor at Screen.Brussels and Organiser/Curator of Liege Web Fest
- Ms. Ioana Matei, Executive Film Producer at Reality+ Film Production
- Mr. Mbeka Mabiala / COMOCONGO: Storytelling from a Film Editor’s Eye View
- 10:30-12:30 – Workshop 1: Smartphone App Development for Android with Ms. Rosanna Kurrer, MIT Master Trainer / DLI
- 12:30 – 13:30 – Lunch Break
- 13:30-15:30 – Workshop 2: Build Your Online Presence with Squarespace with Maria Alfonso, Development Manager at DLI, and Oscar Rodicio, Mudita Communications
- 15:30-18:00 – Brainstorming, Proposals, Idea Selection, Team Grouping & Project Work
- 18:00-19:00 – Dinner
- 19:00-22:00 – Project Work with Coaches
Day Two – 12 February (Sunday):
- 8:00-8:30 – Coffee & Danishes
- 8:30-10:30 – Workshop 3: Story-telling with Virtual Reality with Fabien Bénétou
- 10:30-12:30 – Workshop 4: Launch Your Project in the Cloud with Ms. Madalina Lazar & Ms. Christine Gerpheide / Amazon Web Services
- 12:30-13:30 – Lunch Break
- 13:30-16:00 – Project Work with Coaches
- 16:00-17:00 – Presentation Preparation
- 17:00-19:00 – Closing Plenary: Project Presentations & Judging
- 18:30 – Keynote Presentation: Ms. Ségolène Martin, Cofounder of Kantify and Nominee “Belgian Young ICT Lady of the Year 2017“
- 19:00-21:00 – Awards Dinner & Networking
- Overall Best: 6-month inQubation at DLI; 10 Hours one-to-one inQube Startup Coaching; Other TBC
- Most Business Potential: 4-month inQubation at DLI; 8 Hours one-to-one inQube Startup Coaching; Other TBC
- Most Innovative: 4-month inQubation at DLI; 8 Hours one-to-one inQube Startup Coaching; Other TBC
Coaches: Move It Forward femaledigital starter weekends are supported by a worldclass team of coaches who generously give their time and expertise to help participants deliver awesome projects and enterprises. Please contact us if you would like to support our event as a coach.
Ms. Julie Compagnon: Ms. Compagnon is a Belgian artist heard for the first time on The Voice – Season One. She continues to make her way as a chronicler for the same television channel that discovered her without abandoning her dream of music. Julie is currently preparing her very first album: Between candor and power, humor and generosity.
Ms. Marine Haverland: Active in the audio-visual sector since 2008, and after a period with Versus production, in 2012 Marine Haverland found Aura Films, a platform for developing an producing new media projects. Marine also organized conferences and education in the transmedia filed and co-founded Liège Web Fest, the first Belgian festival dedicated to transmedia, web-series et Virtual Reality. Marine is presently in charge of new media, gaming and virtual reality for the screen.brussels cluster.
Ms. Claudia Ritter: Ms. Ritter has 25 years experience in senior management and business consulting. Her career has encompassed EU affairs, journalism, strategic communications, and organisational development. Her work with European media broadcasts, as well as in leadership positions at the European Commission and in other international organisations, gives her a strong understanding of international relations and strategic thinking.
Mr. Fabien Bénétou: Mr. Bénétou is a passionate virtual reality developer whose vision for VR is to allow us to better explore our thoughts and express creativity. Fabien produces professional VR content, and regularly organizes workshops to share the power of this medium with people of all backgrounds.
Childcare: We proudly work with Bsit to provide childcare for participants with children up to ten years of age, on an as-needed basis. If you wish to take advantage of this service, please kindly indicate that in the application form.
Languages: Workshops and inspirational talks will be given in the language of choice of the speaker with interpretation in other languages, as needed. If you would like to support this event as an interpretor, kindly join the event as “Volunteer/Event Partner” or contact us.
Laptops: Participants will need a laptop to be able to fully benefit from this event. If you do not have access to a laptop please let us know to reserve one for you. We have a limited number available and are grateful for participants who can bring extra/s to share with others. Please let us know if you can support the event in this way.
Supporters: Please see a list of our Move It Forward partners and sponsors below, and kindly contact us if you would like more information on how to support this event, or join us as a “Volunteer/Event Partner”. Opportunities exist for Move It Forward volunteers, interpreters, coaches, jury members, content and media partners, prize contributors and sponsors.
If there is any other way we can facilitate your participation in this event, please do not hesitate to let us know!
*anyone who identifies as a woman